By now you’ve been probably been inundated with information about Threads.
While we aren’t able to start advertising on the platform (yet)…
Here’s a few key things we know so far:
- Threads is owned and operated by Meta.
- More than 100 million users so far (launched 6th July 2023).
- Available to download on Android and iOS in over 100 countries, including the US and the UK. However, it’s not currently available in the EU, as they have more stringent data regulations.
- You log in using your Instagram account.
- You can choose to follow the same accounts you do on Instagram, and find more people who care about the same things you do.
- Unlike Twitter, Threads is held to account by Meta’s terms and conditions (meaning it may be a safer place to advertise).
- Posts can be up to 500 characters long and include links, photos, and videos up to 5 minutes in length.
- Your feed on Threads includes threads posted by people you follow, and recommended content from new creators you haven’t discovered yet.
- You can easily share a Threads post to your Instagram story, or share your post as a link on any other platform you choose.
- The app is focusing on intimacy and authenticity, whereas Twitter has always been a public-facing social network, embracing open conversations with a focus on trending topics.
- It has followed in the footsteps of Instagram and LinkedIn in that you can completely hide replies to your posts if you find them offensive or abusive in any way.
- Meta has said that once users reach 1 billion then we will be able to start advertising.
- Currently businesses are taking what’s been termed as an ‘unhinged approach’ to Threads. Very personal, not with brand voice at all.
- To delete your account, you actually need to delete your entire Instagram account.
- Threads plans on working with ActivityPub (the open social networking protocol established by the World Wide Web Consortium) to provide the option to stop using Threads and transfer content to another service. Threads is Meta’s first app envisioned to be compatible with an open social networking protocol.
- A number of new features will be added soon to help users to continue to discover threads and creators they are interested in, including improved recommendations in feed and a more robust search function that makes it easier to follow topics and trends in real time.
Overall it’s a really exciting platform (and a nice alternative to Twitter) and we look forward to seeing where the platform goes next!
Although we can’t advertise on Threads just yet, why not contact us to find out how else Overdrive Digital can support your business?